Right now President Obama and the Food and Drug Administration are preparing to approve genetically engineered salmon on the market. We have less than 24 hours to tell the Obama administration that you oppose the approval of the world's first genetically engineered, transgenic, animal.
Unfortunately, the company behind GMO salmon, AquaBounty Technologies, is already celebrating its pending approval. Two days ago in a Reuters' story, AqauBounty CEO Ronald Stotish said that he fully expected the FDA to appove AquaBounty's GMO salmon in 2013.
"We should have approval before the end of the year," Stotish told Reuters.
Does AquaBounty know something that we don't? We need to let the FDA know that the American people don't want to eat GMO salmon - the world's first mutant animal for human consumption.
Already more than 1.3 million comments have been collected by our partners and allies to stop GMO salmon. We need your help today to help get that number over 1.5 million voices strong in the next 24 hours! If you don't want GMO salmon on your plate, please act today!
Over the holidays - December 21st, 2012 - FDA officials declared that AquaBounty’s GMO AquaAdvantage® salmon poses no “significant” risk to the environment. This recent FDA decision comes on top of the agency’s 2010 declaration that the GMO salmon were safe for humans to eat, despite no independent long-term studies. Once again, the FDA is putting corporate science over public health.
If approved, AquaBounty’s GMO salmon would be the first genetically engineered animal to be sold for human consumption and could appear in restaurants and grocery stores as early as 2013.
The deadline for the comment period for GMO salmon is ending this Friday, April 26th, 2013. We need your help to get as many comments as possible, please make a comment and pass this on! Every voice counts!
Already biotech cheerleaders are hailing the pending approval of AquaBounty's GMO salmon as the first of many new approvals to come, which means that more genetically engineered, transgenic animals could be approved in the near future.
Despite the company’s claims, critics remain skeptical that genetically engineered fish has any real benefits.
Because no independent, long-term scientific studies of AquaBounty’s patented salmon have been conducted, the human health impacts of GMO salmon are not currently known.
Serious questions remain about eating fish engineered to grow faster and how genetically manipulated traits can impact human health, especially that of our most vulnerable populations such as pregnant mothers and children.
Please share this alert with friends you know who may be concerned, we need all the comments we can get and every voice counts!
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team
1. “Genetically Engineered Salmon Company Expects US Regulatory OK in 2013”, Reuters, April 23, 2013
2. “White House Reverses Itself, Lifts Political Block on FDA Approval of GMO Salmon”, Forbes, December 21, 2012
3. “Genetically Engineered Salmon: Environmental Documents, AquAdvantage Salmon Preliminary Finding of No Significant Impact” Food and Drug Administration (FDA), FDA.gov
4. "GE Animals Regulated Under New Animal Drug Provisions", FDA.gov website, FDA Releases Final Guidance on Genetically Engineered Animals, January 15, 2009.
5. “Aqua Bounty Biotech Salmon OK to Eat-FDA Staff,” Reuters, September 3, 2010.
6. "Modified Salmon is Safe, FDA Says", The New York Times, September 3, 2010
7. “Mutant Salmon Coming to a Kitchen Table Near You”, Fast Company, July 12, 2010