Earlier this week, the House Agriculture Committee passed a bill – H.R. 1599 – that would not only deny states the right to pass common sense GMO labeling laws, but also make it illegal for local citizens to ban or even regulate GMOs in their states or counties. If allowed to pass, this bill, introduced at Monsanto’s request by Congressman Mike Pompeo (R-KS) would unconstitutionally violate state’s rights in order to kill the growing movement to label genetically engineered foods in the United States. Incredibly, a floor vote on this outrageous bill is expected in the House next week.
What the American public needs to know is that most, if not all, of the research these members of Congress are relying on is either outdated or supplied by the biotech industry from GMO gene giants like Monsanto, DuPont and Dow Chemical – you know, the companies that created cancer causing chemicals like Agent Orange, DDT, PCBs and dioxin. Now these same chemical companies, with a long history of lying about the safety of their products, are producing our food!
New Peer Reviewed Study Shatters Myth of Substantial Equivalence and GMO Safety
At the same time, across town at the National Press Club that morning, an independent scientist with four degrees from MIT, Dr. Shiva Ayyadurai released the results of groundbreaking new research that proves the FDA’s current legal construct of “substantial equivalence”, that allows new GMO crops to be approved without proper safety tests, is seriously outdated, unscientific and a fraud when it comes to assessing the safety of GMO foods.
Utilizing modern tools, Dr. Ayyadurai’s team has conducted the first of its kind systems biology analysis of more than 11,597 published peer reviewed scientific papers and found that the process of genetic engineering creates significant cellular disruption in GMO plants, particularly soybeans that contain Monsanto’s Roundup Ready gene, which make them able to survive massive doses of the world’s most widely used and bestselling weedkiller.
These findings shatter the myth that GMOs are “substantially equivalent” and show for the first time that significant damage is done at the cellular level to foods that have been genetically engineered through the process of transgenic insertion of foreign genes.
Therefore, we need an immediate ban on new GMO approvals until new safety standards and independent tests can be conducted.
Tell Congress and the FDA that GMOs are NOT the same as Non-GMOs – “substantial equivalence” is a fraud! It’s time to stop Monsanto’s corruption of science, democracy and our food supply – demand mandatory GMO labeling! Every voice counts!
According to the new research, published in the peer-reviewed journal Agricultural Sciences, the process of genetic engineering creates significant disruptions to basic cellular functions in Monsanto’s Roundup Ready GMO soybeans.
The new research found:
- The process of genetic engineering introduces oxidative stress or system shock in GMO soybean plants.
- This stress creates a metabolic disturbance in the plant’s normal cellular functions, including the plant’s ability to rid itself of harmful toxins.
- This results in an alarming rise in the accumulation of Formaldehyde, a known class 1 carcinogen
- and a significant depletion of Glutathione, a master antioxidant responsible for cellular detoxification and necessary for maintaining a healthy immune system.
This new research is alarming and raises serious questions for everyone who eats regarding the safety of our food supply and the current regulations that block GMO labeling and rubber stamp the approval of new GMO food crops.
Monsanto’s Lie of “Substantial Equivalence” and GMOs
For the past 20 plus years, the U.S. approval process for new GMO foods has relied on the deeply flawed and outdated regulatory concept of “substantial equivalence” that deems GMOs and non-GMOs to be essentially the same in terms of nutritional profile and other superficial characteristics. Incredibly, this legal approval process determining “substantial equivalence” by the FDA was originally developed for assessing the safety of medical devices, not complex organisms like plants or food for human consumption.
The regulatory concept of “substantial equivalence” was initially adopted in 1976 under President Gerald Ford so medical companies could fast-track the approval of simple medical devices if their component parts and functions were the same as previously approved products.
Fast forward to 1992, when former Monsanto attorney Michael Taylor was installed at the FDA, as the biotech industry was attempting to grease the wheels for approval of these new lab engineered foods. Monsanto’s Taylor succeeded in forcing the FDA to adopt the concept of “substantial equivalence” to govern the approval process of new genetically engineered foods, which had never before been consumed by humans.
This FDA 1992 regulatory framework, ushered in by a Monsanto attorney and relies upon voluntary industry testing, is outdated, unscientific and riddled with corruption. It’s time that we have real testing standards developed by scientists with modern 21st century methods and a moratorium on further crop approvals until such standards are developed and accepted by scientists not on the industry’s payroll.
With the finding of these significant cellular disturbances found in GMO plants, Dr. Ayyadurai’s research proves that the practice of applying the 1970s concept of “substantial equivalence” developed for medical devices, which have 10 to 100 parts compared to living biological organisms, which have more than a 100,000, is a scientific fraud and hopelessly outdated.
But the one thing we know is that Monsanto will respond to true independent science with more propaganda and right now they’re trying to rig the rules against us in Congress by abolishing state’s rights to label and regulate GMOs. And we can’t let them get away with it.
Take Action: Tell Congress and the White House that GMOs are NOT the same as Non-GMOs. It’s time for real science and transparency! Help end Monsanto’s corruption of science and democracy! Every voice counts!
What we need now is a new call for transparency in science and democracy. Help us make that happen. Share this new science with your friends and family, we can’t let them get away with this. Not after fighting so hard to reveal the truth about Monsanto’s corruption and GMOs!
Coincidentally, on July 2nd, the White House issued a call for more transparency and updating the current regulations that govern new GMO crops. We couldn’t agree more — it’s time for transparency and a moratorium on new GMO crop approvals.
Remember, democracy is like a muscle, either you use it or you lose it!
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
Dave, Lisa and the Food Democracy Now! team
1. “Do GMOs Accumulate Formaldehyde and Disrupt Molecular Systems Equilibria? Systems Biology May Provide Answers”, Agricultural Sciences, July, 2015.
2. “GMO Soy Accumulates Formaldehyde & Disrupts Plant Metabolism, Suggests Peer-Reviewed Study, Calling For 21st Century Safety Standards”, PR Newswire, July 14, 2015.
3. “Peer-Reviewed Study Suggests Genetically Engineered Soy (GMO) Produces Excess Formaldehyde and Disrupts Natural Plant Metabolism”, International Center for Integrative Systems, July 14, 2015
4. “20 Years of GMO Policy That Keeps Americans in the Dark About Their Food”, Huffington Post, July 30, 2012. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/dan-quayle-and-michael-ta_b_1551732
5. “Discovery of key molecular pathways of C1 metabolism and formaldehyde detoxification in maize through a systematic bioinformatics literature review,” Agricultural Sciences, Deonikar P et al, May, 2015.
6. “In Silico Modeling of C1 Metabolism,” American Journal of Plant Sciences, Kothandaram et al, June, 2015.
7. “Integrative Modeling of Oxidative Stress and C1 Metabolism Reveals Upregulation of Formaldehyde and Downregulation of Glutathione”, American Journal of Plant Sciences, Mohan M et al., June, 2015. https://www.scirp.org/journal/paperinformation.aspx?paperid=57391